7/24/11

Whitewater Rafting

What a cool analogy!  Even though I have never been an instructor or been whitewater rafting, somehow I can understand the comparison of white water rafting to teaching.  There is no predictability in white water rafting or teaching.  You never know what is around the corner or what problems you might run in to on your journey.  For example, what would happen if I lost my ore?  Uh oh…now that’s a dilemma!  I have no way of steering, should I just abandon ship or try and work it out?  What would happen if I planned out a lesson, taught it and no one got it?  Do I just throw in the towel and move on to another subject or do I try and figure out what would make my students get it?  I think that in both situations, you obviously can’t just abandon ship; you have to figure out the solution to the problem and move forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment